2017 Scholarship Guidelines & Application Form
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA & APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Applicant is a resident of Lee County, Florida and attends a Lee County High School.
- Applicant may not have been awarded or be under consideration for a scholarship from another Lee County Kiwanis Club.
- Applicant either has been or is a member of the Kiwanis Sponsored Leadership Programs, namely K-Kids in Elementary School, Builders Club in Middle School, or Key Club in High School, if a program was offered.
- If applicant had not been or is not a member of a Kiwanis Sponsored Leadership Program, the applicant will be considered if he or she is a direct relative (son, daughter, grandchild, niece, nephew, or step-child) of a Kiwanis Member in good standing. Kiwanis member may have been recently deceased within the past year. The degree of relationship may be a factor in considering the application.
- Applicant has a cumulative minimum unweighted grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent.
- Applicant must have completed at least 50 community service hours within the past 12 months.
- Applicant has been accepted to an accredited College, University, Trade or Vocational Technical School, as a full-time enrolled student.
- Application must be received at 16970-160 San Carlos Blvd, # 310, Fort Myers, 33908 or submitted to a Club Officer by June 1.
- Applicant must provide documented proof of eligibility criteria above or a detailed statement of verification of facts when criteria documents do not exist.
- Applicant must submit list of higher education classes for which registered. If this is not available at time of application, then a list of classes requested may be submitted.
- Applicant must procure two letters of recommendation (from non-relatives), at least one of which is applicant’s High School counselor, advisor, teacher, or other school official. The second recommendation will be selected by the applicant.
- Applicant must submit a Personal Statement Essay, limited to 500 words or less, which may address but not required or limited to: Community Service, Kiwanis family member, Kiwanis Sponsored Leadership Programs, extra-curricular activities, employment experience, education goals/plans, and any other information that might be pertinent to the awarding of this scholarship.
- Applicant must submit a recent photo.
- Applicant must include a requested funds distribution date to the school, as well as name, address, phone number, and email address if available, of the office of the school to which check should be mailed.
- Applicant must attend a club meeting prior to start of school to receive official recognition/award.
AWARDING & FUNDS DISTRIBUTION
- The Kiwanis Fort Myers Gateway to the Islands Scholarship Committee will coordinate with the applicant a date/time to appear before the Scholarship Committee for a personal interview.
- After review of Scholarship Committee recommendation by the Board of Directors, a Scholarship Committee representative will immediately notify the applicant of the final decision. Scholarship will be awarded within 30 days after receipt of complete application.
- Scholarship funds will be distributed to the school upon receipt of itemized invoice(s) from the school, verifying enrollment of applicant to include student’s identification number. Scholarship funds may be used for tuition/fees, books, and room/board.
- Awards will only be granted for expenses billed by the institution, or as deemed appropriate by the Scholarship Committee and Board of Directors. Request for detailed exceptions for Scholarship funds use may be sent to the Scholarship Committee for consideration.
- Annual renewal of application must be submitted annually by May 1, for up to three consecutive subsequent years. Renewals will be considered for students in good standing as verified by recipient providing proof of full-time enrollment (course schedule) and maintaining minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent.
- Due to extenuating circumstances, exceptions to eligibility criteria and information indicated herein, may be approved by the Scholarship Committee and recommended to the Board of Directors.
- Continue to print application to complete.